1. Is the proposed project one of the 10 in 10?
- If not, how would it fit into the 10 in 10?
2. What is the purpose/goal of the project?
- What are the benefits of the project?
- What constituencies are served by it?
- What are the lost opportunity costs if it’s not done?
- Will we lose or diminish past investments?
- Does the project have component parts that can be identified and segregated?
- How does the project relate to the other 10 in 10?
- Is there overlap? Can there be overlap?
- Is there potential for enhancing the project by increasing relationships with another project? Have we explored this?
- Can the project be logically co-located? Would that save money?
- Is the project something that creates a platform for another project?
- Is the project diminished by attempting to coordinate?
3. How does this project build on existing assets?
- What are the assets we currently have that point to the success of the project?
- Are existing assets enhanced?
- Without it, are existing projects stunted or slowed?
4. What are the best practices?
- Are there alternative approaches to achieve the goals/benefits or to serve constituencies?
- How do alternatives compare to the proposal?
- Would those approaches create conflict with other goals or constituencies?
- Would those approaches decrease costs?
5. What’s the timeline?
- Why do it now? If not now, when?
- Are there unique issues such as licensing or accreditation that impact the project?
- Should this project be phased?
- Is there something that should come before?
- IS there something that could come after if phasing is needed because of money?
6. What is the economic and quality of life impact of the project?
- How will it impact the health of the community?
- Will it create permanent jobs, temporary jobs?
- What impact will it have on the tax base?
- How will it impact the need for public services?
- Does it impact the public at large? In what way?
- Does it address existing quality of life concerns?
- What is the geographic reach? What should it be?
7. What does the project cost?
- What are the expected capital costs?
- What costs may occur for Operation & Maintenance (O&M)?
- Incremental increases over time? If so, how often?
- How/ why was the project sized in this way?
- How does it compare to similar projects?
- Any unique/ unusual costs? (eg. costs of endowed chairs)
- Does it partially or fully replace existing programs or assets?
- Are there any cost efficiences?
- Link to other projects?
- Are there other way to reduce costs?
8. What are the mechanisms for funding this project?
- Are any sources mandatory?
- What are possible sources of funding?
- Is financing an option?
- Are there any one time sources? Unique money?
- Can the source of funding for a project also be a source of funding for another project of is it limited (dedicated revenue)?
- Are the sources available for all costs of for just capital, O&M, specific or unique costs?
- Are there sources that lead to other sources of funds but are prerequisites?
- What impact would a source have on a tax rate?
- What happens if a source doesn’t come through?
- Can the loss of money be made up elsewhere from other sources?
9. Is there a meed for an election?
- By which entity?
- On what timeline?
10. Is there the need for legislative action?
- Is it mandatory or preferred? if preferred, what are the complications if legislative action not achieved?
- Will the timeline be delayed if it takes two sessions?
11. What is the administrative governance?
- Who is in charge of construction? Operation? Maintenance? Employment?
- Can/ does administration overlap with other projects?
- How do we assure integration of projects?
- Should we create a new administrative system?
- Does governance impact money/ funding?
- Where are potential conflicts?